My annual pick of the playground duty hats is back, but this time with a twist.
If you can’t even remember buying your last one, then it’s probably time for an update.
When choosing a playground duty hat, the most important things are sun safety, comfort and practicality.
And don’t forget the “No hat, no play” rule. If we are enforcing it on students, then we must be leading by example.
When buying a new hat, keep the following in mind:
- Comfort – if it isn’t comfy, don’t buy it!
- Size – make sure the hat is the right size for your head.
- Style – A wide brim hat is always the best option if you are unsure. Try and steer away from caps as most schools don’t allow students to wear them.
- Colour – any colour is fine but just remember, lighter colours will get dirtier quicker.
- Material – in Summer, opt for straw or linen hats. Felt and other heavier materials are best for the cooler months.
The Cancer Council Queensland recommends that you slap on a hat that is:
- Broad-brimmed and provides good protection for the face, nose, neck and ears, which are common sites for skin cancers (caps and visors do not provide adequate protection).
- Made with closely woven fabric – if you can see through it, UV radiation will get through.
- Worn with sunglasses and sunscreen to increase your level of protection.
Find more info here on Sun Protection from the QLD Cancer Council.
I’ve put together a few hats which you can pick up before the 2019 school year starts.
See one that you like, well it could be yours.
Simply leave a comment below saying which hat is your favourite and why and make sure you are following whattheteacherwears on Instagram. You can follow here.
If you just can’t wait, shop each hat.
- Sportsgirl Aztec Panama Hat
- Big W Wide Brim Hat
- Big W Trilby
- Target Hat with Flower Detail
- Dotti Panama
- Sussan Panama
- Target Black and White Hat
Entries close 25.01.19 AEST 7am and will be notified by email and mentioned on this post. Australian entries only.
Note Target hats have now sold out online.
What hat would you love to wear in 2019?